The Chamber Music round of the 2014 ABC Symphony Australia Young Performers Awards finals took place on August 22 in Studio 520 at the ABC Collinswood Centre in Adelaide.
Six outstanding finalists performed a chamber music work in collaboration with professional musicians and players from the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra over two concerts which were each broadcast live on ABC Classic FM and presented by Simon Healy and Julie Howard.
Adjudicators were Eve Newsome, David Barnard, Marshall McGuire and Simon Lord.
The 11 performers who took part in the finals were all presented with a trophy in recognition of their achievement and the following prizes were awarded;
- Best Recital ($5000) went to Grace Clifford
- Best Chamber Music Performance ($5000) went to Grace Clifford for her performance of the Dvořák String Quartet No.12 in F, Op.96, American
- Best Performance of an Australian Work ($5000) went to Kiran Phatak for his performance of Demons for solo flute in the Recital round.
The three finalists selected to proceed to the next stage of the finals are;
- Grace Clifford (NSW) will perform the Beethoven Violin Concerto in D, Op.61
- Andrew Kawai (VIC) will perform the Mozart Oboe Concerto in C, K314
- Anna Da Silva Chen (NSW) will perform the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D, Op.35
These finalists will perform their concertos with the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra conducted by Christopher Seaman in the AdelaideTown Hall on Thursday August 28 at 7pm.
The concert will be General Admission, Adults $20, Concession $5, Children $5. Bookings through ASO on 8233 6233 or in person at 91 Hindley St Adelaide Mon – Fri 9am – 4.30pm. This concert will be broadcast live on Classic FM (7:30pm Eastern Standard Time).